Are you a professor, graduate student, or other scientist looking to conduct research on Bald Head Island? Looking for a spot for your symposium, workshop, or lab group retreat? Take advantage of the proximity to a variety of barrier island habitats (beach, dunes, salt marsh, maritime forest, freshwater ponds) by using Bald Head Island Conservancy as a field station. The BHI Conservancy has several options available for meeting spaces (year-round) and overnight research trips (September - April). Collaborators with BHIC scientists may qualify for reduced rates. For more about our active projects and areas of conservation and research interest, see our
To discuss scientific collaborations, use of BHI Conservancy datasets, and/or use of laboratory facilities or sampling support, contact Beth Darrow at email@example.com.
For information regarding public group use of our space, check out our Island Retreats page or contact Marissa Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
$25/day per group of up to 4 people for use of our dry lab, wet lab, prep room, and/or scientific equipment. Facilities will be shared with BHI Conservancy staff.
- Lab benches, sinks, drying oven, autoclave, refrigerators, freezers
- 10 gallon aquaria, pumps, and other aquarium equipment
- Equipment/supplies in our areas of research can be checked out upon request
- Long-term stays eligible for a bulk rate
We are happy to help you plan your visit and can provide advice on sampling sites and logistics. Sampling support by BHI Conservancy staff without a formal collaboration follows the following fee structure:
Jon boat use + captain (suitable for BHI Creek, Cape Creek, no river/ocean sampling)
- $350/half day (high tide +/- 2 hrs)
Sample collection by BHIC staff
- Golf cart and kayak use for researchers: availability and pricing upon request
$35 per person, per night
Maximum Capacity: 14 people
- Guests bring their own linens, towels, pillows, and other necessities
- Bunkhouse includes use of fully-equipped, shared kitchen, restrooms, and living spaces
- Option to sign up for a wide array of educational program led by BHI Conservancy staff
Short 5-minute walk to South Beach
**Golf carts not included and must be rented separately from Cary Cart Company (cars are prohibited on Bald Head Island)
$3/day per person for overnight guests
Classrooms, Multimedia Center