36th Annual Thad Wester Fishing School
Here is your chance to catch HUGE Red Drum.
Friday: Fishing School check-in begins at 12:00 PM and classroom instruction begins at 1:00 PM on the Bald Head Island Conservancy campus with Professors of the Piscatorial Arts and Fishing School Alumni. Classroom lessons will include the following topics:
Fishing Identification • Where to Fish on BHI • Hooks, Baits & Bait Rigging • Knots, Knot Tying & Leaders • Surf Rods & Reels • Weights, Lines & Casting • Releasing & Conservation • Fishing with Kids • Fishing Safety
Fishing will begin at 7:45 AM on the beach and will continue through the late afternoon. Lunch will be provided. A fish fry social will be held Saturday evening beginning around 6:45 PM. Guests are welcome to attend for $25/ticket purchased in advance.
Sunday: The crew will again head out to the beach at 7:45 AM. Fishing School will conclude at 11:00 AM.
"The teachers were great and I learned a lot even though I have fished all my life. The interns did a wonderful job. What a great event and way to meet people!!" —Brady Anderson
"I have a ton of passion for the parent/child partner involvement in Thad Wester’s Fishing School. I think that was part of his original intent...It’s so much more than just fishing. What a gift that I’ve been a part of that." - Steve Montgomery, Instructor
- North Carolina Fishing License
- Rod & Reel
- Terminal Tackle - several 2-hook bottom rigs, 2, or 3 oz. sinkers (or weights appropriate for your rod), 2/0 – 3/0 CircleHooks. (Note: Some terminal tackle will be provided)
- Knife & Pliers
- Hat, Sunglasses, Sunscreen, and Insect Repellant
- 5 or 6 Gallon Plastic Bucket & Lid, and/or Tackle Box if you prefer
- Hand Towel
- Light Rain Jacket & Sweatshirt
- Pen, paper, and personal laptop or tablet for classroom sessions